[Farmall] Cleaning Rusty Gas Tanks

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Thu Sep 25 06:00:50 PDT 2014

I do not doubt that the ethanol holds water more than the non ethanol
does because of the alcohol, but if you keep the tanks full, there is no
air circulation in the tank to bring in the moisture to condense.   As
an example, I still use my older rigs, and until about 5 years ago they
were either outside, or at best under a roof in an open shed.  I always
wanted them ready to go, so they were always full, and even though they
were all late 40s models there was no rust in the tanks.  A couple years
ago a neighbor asked me to help him get a cub going that had set under
his lean-to roof for about a year and a half.  His problem was nothing
to do with fuel, just needed to dress the points a little, but when I
looked in the tank to check for fuel it had about 2 inches of gasoline
in it. Below the fuel level the tank was clean and shiny.  above it the
tank was a solid coating of rust.