[Farmall] Cleaning Rusty Gas Tanks

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 24 19:28:27 PDT 2014

Check for baffles before you put anything in the tank other than liquid! For
tanks without baffles I have added gravel and water and then strapped them
to a large tractor tire. As far as chain, I've heard that too long of a
piece can manage to tie itself in a knot.  Make sure there isn't a stand
pipe on the shutoff that can get damaged. I'm pretty certain we have sent
tanks to radiator shops to be soaked in a cleaning vat, you probably won't
have any paint left on it though. If its more trash than rust, drain the
fuel and then flush the tank like crazy with water. I've even filled them
full of water and stuck a long air nozzle in there to create turbulence and
break stuff free. As soon as I drained the water, I would blow it dry as
best as possible and quickly return it to service to prevent flash rust.
Maybe dump in a pint or so of kerosene or diesel to splash around to prevent
rust unless you are planning on adding some sort of sealer.

Of course common sense applies when dealing with the fumes and residual fuel
when beginning the cleaning--especially if you are in a hurry and don't have
time to let all the fuel evaporate.

Good luck and be safe.

John Hall