[AT] Disk Plow or One-Way Plow

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Sep 6 10:04:53 PDT 2014

I have a 7 shank big Ox V-plow.  It was last used about 15 years ago
with a MF1155.  I no longer have that tractor.  I have a 2-105 White,
but the lift arms were removed when the lift cylinders kept leaking 5
gallons a day of hyd oil. The control valves seem to let pressure by and
it just keeps pressuring up.  It was bought from a guy who bought it new
and only used it for sowing wheat.  Dad bought it at an auction.  When I
went to pick it up, I noticed that the left side rear tires were worn
twice as much as the left.  They were a matching set of 4 tires.   From
turning left most of its life in flat ground, the right side tires
traveled that much more.  Thats a lot of wheat sowing!!!!

The P-8 One-way plow I bought 2 days ago, worked fairly good after I
finally got it set, but the 60 yr old bolts broke in the draw hitch and
caused it to break out the front disk.  I replaced 3 of the 4ea  1/2 in
bolts that held the hitch only to find that the 3/4 inch ones that held
the top link hitch were about to break. I cannot imagine setting on an
8N ford pulling that thing!!!!!!

I have a 7030 Allis Chalmers that needs some make ready work to run, but
it should pull OK if the oil does not boil out of the filler plug under
the seat.   I think that is from the power divider maybe.  Last time it
was used was to pull a swather 2 years ago.  It has 3 point hitch.  I
also have a 2470 Case 4wd that needs tires and have the duals and
adapters to change it over from 24.5 x 32 singles.    I have bewen
trying to get my hay stores built back up and got tied up with a
neighbor with a rough patch of ground that took 3 times longer to cut
and bale than it should.  This will not happen next year.  Only saving
grace is that the hay off that patch is sold already to pay for fuel and
net wrap.

I tried those tillage radishes last year.  Those radishes originated in
Vietnam ( read Wet Wet country) Oklahoma was in a drought last year.  I
planted $300 worth of them and the only place a few came up was in a
damp spot in what was usually a mudhole in my terrace end.    I do
things different here.  I have large 2 ft deep pits at the end of my
terraces before it dumps into the waterway.  This allows me to catch
some of the soil that is in suspension.  My waterway also has several
large "stilling basins" in it due to me taking soil from here to fill in
holes in the pasture.  Those tillage radishes might work when you have
rainfall.

I have a friend who has a 1650 Case Dozer with a 5 shank ripper. He
suggested using it a while ago.   He has been wanting to deal me out of
my little pancake cab 63 GMC truck tractor with the 6v71 Detroit.   It
has not been run in 15 years, but it was the first Diesel truck Dad & I
bought.  The old Detroit fired off with a new battery and some fresh
fuel in the tanks!!!!

If I had some time and the back I had 10 years ago, I would not be in
this predicament.    Of course then I still had my Dad  to help and
figure out what to do next.......

Cecil in oKla