[AT] Disk Plow or One-Way Plow

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Fri Sep 5 11:53:09 PDT 2014

I think a subsoiler is the way to go. Last year we had a power line go
through (we were given no choice) ; they promised to restore the land as
close as possible to original conditions (surprise, all lies). Some of
their equipment was upwards of 80 tons. Although they promised to try
and avoid damage as much as possible, every time it rained they came in.
When they pulled the cement trucks in they left ruts over a foot deep. I
thought they would come in with a bulldozer with ripper teeth to break
up the hardpan but when I asked they said they had no intention of doing
that. Several years ago I bought a one tooth subsoiler from a company
called Monroe-Tufline. At the time I only had a 50 hp tractor. I can go
16 inches deep so last fall I tried breaking up under the power line. I
could only pull it 8 inches deep and then would have to turn around and
re-rip the same pass. It was slow going but I got the one half done.
With the one prong my passes are about 28 inches apart. The second half
was wet so I put it on my 140 hp tractor. I know that was overkill but I
thought going slow would be ok; well it wasn't as I broke the subsoiler
in half.  I thought I had hit a large rock so I had a backhoe come in to
dig it out. Well, there was no rock, the heavy equipment had packed the
ground that hard. I haven't fixed the subsoiler yet but I do have the
things I need to do it. My point is, big equipment can really pack the
soil, and as has been pointed out, I don't think disk type equipment
will break up the soil.