[AT] Disk Plow or One-Way Plow

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Sep 2 17:00:30 PDT 2014

Greg, that fits more with what I remember but I don't really know because
all of my plowing was done the way my dad set the plow up.  Other than
that I am just going by what I observed or think I observed.

Your comment about the draft control gets down to the heart of the Allis
Chalmers
draft control system which they call a "traction booster"  because what it
does is
transfer weight to and from the rear wheels of the tractor by putting
tension on the
lift arms.  It works that way on the old Snap Coupler system and on the 3 pt
versions
as well.  The system is spring loaded using a rock shaft on the 3 pt hitch
version and
a big spring behind the coupler on the snap coupler system.  When the
tension on the
tongue of the plow (or whatever you are pulling) reaches a certain point
which you
can adjust of the fly it lifts the lift arms and transfers weight to the
rear of the tractor.
This keeps the rear wheels form slipping excessively but at the same time
controls the
draft to a degree.  I say to a degree because the system doesn't
differentiate as to
the excess load being because of depth or changes in soil conditions.  All
it knows is the
preload you set via a lever on the lift system has been exceeded.   If it's
right it works
like a charm.  Wear on the parts and folks now days not knowing how to set
it up and
adjust it creates problems.

I know this isn't about AC tractors.  I just thought I'd take the
opportunity to throw that
in for anyone who might be interested.

Charlie