[AT] Disk Plow or One-Way Plow

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Tue Sep 2 15:30:24 PDT 2014

On all the plows we have owned we set the front plow according to width;
16 inch plow, 16 inches from edge of furrow to edge of shin; 18 inch
plow , 18 inches of soil turned. We have never paid any attention to how
it pulls in relation to the center of the tractor. Right now I have a 3
bottom roll-over plow on a 140 hp tractor. I have to have the wheels set
real wide because the front bottom has to take 18 inches in either
direction. Even though this is a 3 pt. plow I have never used the draft
control. The plow has a depth wheel on the side and I just lower it
until the wheel is firmly on the ground and go. Here depending on the
field we go between 10 and 12 inches deep.  As for the semi-mount we
have had at least 4 or 5 over the years and have never used draft
control. In fact, when one thinks about it, I don't see how draft
control could work on a semi-mount as it only would raise and lower the
front of the plow resulting in very uneven plowing. On all the
semi-mounts we have had , we just set the depth of the back of the plow
and then set the front of plow to the same depth and go. We have never
had a problem and get pretty good depth control. As to what the book
would say, we have never owned a new one so we have never had the book.
Over the years I have driven plows for several relatives and none of
them have used the draft sensors. Just my 2 cents worth, your mileage
may vary.
       Greg Hass