[AT] Osage vs. Firestone

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 06:31:43 PDT 2014

The slime in the tubes from Slime is a thicker goo than comes in the
bottles and yes, I currently have a set on my bike (front and back). It
generally works, but thicker tires also help as the goat heads that kill
tires are only so long and if you can keep them from getting to the vitals,
well, you're better off. In the case of the Osage (which I have zero
familiarity but suspect is similar to some forms of mesquite from the
descriptions), the spines are long enough to go through and leave a big
hole.

Solutions to vehicles with tires are (as mentioned): steel wheels, tracks,
solid tires, or tires thicker than the offending spines are long.
Self-sealing is good up to a point, but you do need to put air back in for
that lost before the tire reseals (and they reseal a LOT... slime does
work).

I also have heard of a better material than slime for use in bigger tires.
The demo showed a 1/4" drill going into a car tire and the gunk sealing it
again. I don't recall what it was.

slime uses cotton fibers and a green liquid that's somewhat viscous (and I
suspect, temperature affected). This other material uses some sort of
kevlar fiber and (I believe) a thicker goo to go with it.

The ultimate solution as far as I'm concerned is using a tracked vehicle.
And maybe a little fire to urge along the decomposition of the offending
spines after you bulldoze them up in a heap. :)

Here in the desert, everything wants to stick you, stab you or chomp you.
Tires usually get it first.

Ken in AZ