[AT] Osage vs. Firestone

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Wed Oct 29 01:15:21 PDT 2014

Charlie V wrote:
> Dean has it correct on the balance issue with slime.  About the first thing
> the label instructions tell you is that it is for off road tires only for
> just that reason.  I have a can if it that is good for about one mid size
> tire. It takes quite a lot for larger tires and there is a chart to tell
> how many ounces are required for various tire sized.  I have never used it
> but read the instructions every time I think about putting it in
> something.  It is intended for tread area injuries only, so Dean.s fronts
> probably qualify there.  Not sure about the tube issue.  Must rotate the
> tire for a while after putting Slime in the tire to get it evenly
> distributed all the way around the inside.  Does it then set in place???
> Or does it stay somewhat fluid to seal future punctures???  the full
> instructions are no doubt on line if no one knows all of the answers.
>
> I am thinking that if all of the thorns are not removed from the tires now,
> they will keep eating at the tubes just as a nail would so no matter what
> is done the problems will exist.
>
> Charlie V.

Slime is basically ground up rubber mixed into a latex paint base that
is thinned with glycol antifreeze.

It does work but you really don't want to use it in a tubeless tire. It
does a number on the rims, almost as bad as calcium! Plus it is MESSY if
you need to break down the tire.

Use it inside a tube and it's usually OK. I have used the pre-slimed
tubes and added it into tubes as well.

However, being in thorn country you might want to look at the kevlar
liners that are sold to go inside the tire.

--
Steve W.