[AT] A commentary on how to win friends and influence people at tractor shows

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Oct 9 00:04:09 PDT 2014

Cecil, that seems to go on most places these days.  This guy might well have
not been
a cop at all.  He could have been someone in the group  that they
put somewhere where they thought he could do the least harm.  You know, the
village idiot.

As for real cops, in a town of less than 1000 folks near here a few years
ago there was an 80
some year old man who suffered from dementia.  He was out in his yard and
his family thought,
for whatever reason, that he needed to be inside.  He didn't want to come
in.  They called the
police to come help persuade him to come in the house.  "Barney" and
"Goober" showed up
and proceeded to try to intimidate the old man into going inside.  He got
even more agitated
and picked up a short piece of 2x4, probably thinking he needed to defend
himself.  As he this
frail 80 year old man stood some 20 feet from these two young cops he raised
the 2x4 in the air
and they shot him dead.  District attorney said it was justified (nothing to
see here, just move along).
I'm not exactly sure that's what the mans family expected when they called
those sworn to
"Serve and Protect".  I always wondered what it would have hurt if they had
let him stay outside?

Charlie