[AT] LED lights

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 07:08:08 PST 2014

White, lighting-class LED's are readily available (in raw LED form) in
higher color temperatures.  The most efficient ones on a lumen-per-watt
basis are between 5000 and 10,000 color temperature.  It has been a bit of
a struggle for the LED industry to create "warmer" LED's down at 3000 but
they have done so because they believe the residential lighting market
demands the less-harsh, less "blue", more "warm" tones at 3000K.  I have at
least one BR-30 replacement LED (BR-30 is a 65-watt flood lamp used in
track lighting) that is "bright white", color temperature 6000+, and my
wife HATED it in the kitchen.  I am using it in my workshop where I am not
terribly picky about color as long as it's bright.

In the emerging LED residential lighting world:
"warm white" is down around 3000
"natural white" is about 4000-6000
"cool" or "bright white" is about 6000-10000

It tends to follow the language used to describe the color temperature of
fluorescents.

SO