[AT] ZTR mowers

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Mon Jun 30 13:38:03 PDT 2014

In ZTR mowers the commercial quality machines are generally well built,
reliable and SAFE to operate.  When you move down into the homeowner level
machines some of them are terribly cheaply built and in many cases are
dangerous to operate on anything other than virtually level areas.

I base my opinions on my own experience, 1300+ hours on an Exmark Lazer Z,
several demos of other commercial machines, two seasons totaling 80-100
hours on a Kubota and a bunch of conversations and test rides on various
homeowner level junkers.

The homeowner machines tend to be "sleek" so every yuppie owner can think he
has a stylish machine.  They generally are lightweight with high HP engines
and smaller drive tires.  Traction is poor and that links directly to poor
controllability.  The rears lack adequate traction to swing the front end
around when turning.  Get them on a cross slope and they are likely to swing
downhill and nothing the operator can do will stop that.  I would expect the
$2,000 Crapsman to be right down in the pits of that category as all any of
the Husquvarna homeowner models that I have been on or heard comments from
their not-real-thrilled owners.

Exmark, Toro, Ferris, Scag seem to have their act together on the
commercials, I've never been on or heard about their low end machines so I
can't comment on them.

The Kubota mower I use as a volunteer at our shooting club is pretty much a
conundrum.  31 HP(IIRC) diesel, 60" very deep deck which handles clippings
better than anything I have been on, very heavy machine, solid, comfortable
with one HUGE flaw.   Something is just WRONG with the way the weight is
balanced and it just hates to go in anything but a straight line.  The front
is wicked heavy and it acts like the cheapies, the rear wheels don't have
the authority to pull the fronts through a tight turn.  It's alright if
you're moving along briskly, usually, but sometimes you keep hauling back on
steering lever and you keep going straight.  More of a problem if you're
trying to work slowly around obstacles if the ground is a little damp.  Sit
still and spin.  The rear wheels really should be further forward or
something.  It's a joy to operate when you're on open ground but it
generates some serious cussin' in close quarters.

Try before you buy, if you can, and if you buy on the bottom of the price
range be prepared to be disappointed in both performance and longevity.