[AT] was Mike Sloane--now Farmall AV

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 27 05:11:12 PDT 2014

Meaning no disrespect to Mike, I saw a mention of restoring one of his old
tractors in a post and thought it may make a good new thread.

Jim, tell us more about your AV restoration. As I have said a hundred times,
you can't throw a rock at a shed around these parts without hitting one of
the offset series IH (A-140). Strange enough, the high crops are quite odd.
I only remember 2 or 3. A tobacco farmer down the road had 1 or 2 high crop
140's (I think that’s what they were), and another farmer across town had an
AV. I really wish we had one for plowing tobacco when the weeds started
coming in after it got too tall to use with the standard models. I can
recall many weeks over the summers pulling weeds. One year it got so bad we
bought a weedeater just to use in the tobacco fields. I ran it 9 hours a day
for over 2 weeks straight. I was MUCH younger and in better shape back then!
I guess one of the main reasons for not having a high clearance tractor was
stability issues. We never had any real trouble with the regular Super A's
but those high clearance models were a tad bit scary and would have limited
their use considerably. I still think we'd have been better off with one
even if we only ran it 2-3 weeks a year.

John Hall