[AT] Starters and ring gears

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Jul 28 07:08:01 PDT 2014

Interesting reading about the starter and ring gear experiences here. I
am assuming most are like the Cockshutts in that you can remove the ring
gear from the flywheel by heating and reverse it. We had that done on
the 50 years ago . Although it seems to me those ring gears have a
special bevel cut on one side only to ease engagement of the starter
gear. Still this one seemed to work well for years. After converting to
12 volts starting it has gotten worse. The starter will often just grind
on the ring gear the first, second, maybe third try. The good thing is
that it is very easy starting.
Even on six volts the 40 will grind once in a while on start up. Just
engage the belt pulley and sometimes pushing on that pulley with my foot
is enough movement to turn a tooth on the flywheel to a better
engagement spot.
I seem to recall a few incidents of starter lock up, not sure if it was
the 50 or 40 but we loosened the mounting bolts on the starter to set it
free.

Ralph in Sask.