[AT] , now JD (actually off topic BSA 441 Victor)

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Tue Jul 8 08:32:12 PDT 2014

Y'all,

 From my two or three years working for a friend and neighbor at his
motorcycle shop will share the following:

- Unless you are just buying one to show, would check on the
availability of parts - especially transmission, clutch, and other high
wear items.  A friend who sold both BSAs and Yamahas in his cycle
dealership said that he sold many times the parts (and made way more
parts bucks) for each BSA over each Japanese bike. Seem to remember in
the picture of the one for sale that the foot peg part of the cranking
arm no longer remained folded up and stuck out - a common sign of a worn
or hard to replace one.
- Drove a nice used 441 Victor (no electric start) we had for sale about
twenty miles once. 'Twas not an easy starter.  Would definitely consider
it a younger and larger man's machine, as it was tough to crank (one
BIG, single cylinder) and could pitch you off or hurt you with a kick
back.  Had to really put my full weight (170 lbs) into cranking it.
NEVER try cranking that one in tennis or thin-soled shoes.
- Like MG cars and the Triumph cycles, BSAs were fun to drive on winding
roads, and the 441 in particular had one satisfying, ultra-macho sound.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas