[AT] John Deere starting

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jul 6 20:28:00 PDT 2014

On 7/6/2014 8:28 PM, Dean VP wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Wow, then it was a memory from the 50's!  Thank You. I just looked at a 226 mounted picker PC. Sure
> enough there they are.  We had a 2 row mounted corn picker mounted on something like a 46  or early 47
> JD A as I remember.  We had the outside starting shaft and wheel too. I don't remember the choke rods
> though. Too many years ago I guess.  Interestingly, the choke rods make no provision for the change in
> choke lever that occurred for Electric start.  I guess most of this was assuming a hand start tractor.
> But sure would come in handy if the battery was dead, which occurred quite often as I recall with the
> quality of the 6V batteries and generators back then.  How far we have progressed!
Thought I would change the title on this reply as we are talking John
Deere starting. I remember my dad's "styled" D that had two six volt
batteries for starting but I also remember him turning the flywheel and
starting it that way. No doubt low batteries, cold weather, etc. I'm
sure you have all seen the video but it kind of reminded me of that when
I watched the owner cranking this 1929 D at an auction earlier this
spring. It fired up pretty easy considering the cold wet conditions of
that day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCKdaQF5cwg

Ralph in Sask.