[AT] JD 620

Tyler Juranek tylerpolkaman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 05:59:12 PDT 2014

Dean,
Congrats! There aren't to many people that you meet that bought those
tractors new around anymore. Glad to hear you had a good visit with
him.
I'm sure he had lots of information to share and I'm sure you got a
lot of reminiscing done too.
Let us know how the tractor runs!
Take Care,
Tyler Juranek

On 6/30/14, Dean Vinson <dean at vinsonfarm.net> wrote:
> Okay, now this was just a heck of a nice evening.   Sunny, not too humid,
> good conversation with some nice folks I had not previously met, and I
> ended
> up with another tractor and a bunch of stuff to go with it.
>
> http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/620_left_20140630.jpg
> http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/620_lf_20140630.jpg
> http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/620_right_20140630.jpg
> http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/620_rr_20140630.jpg
> http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/620_lr_20140630.jpg
>
> The 620 is serial number 6219452, which puts it two-thirds of the way
> through 1958 production according to the serial number range in Dean VP's
> excellent earlier email.   The check I wrote tonight makes me the tractor's
> second owner.  The first owner is 88 and moving a little slowly these days,
> having recently recovered from a broken hip, and can no longer climb up on
> the tractor--so is rather reluctantly letting it go.   He told me this 620
> was the last one sold new from the John Deere dealer in New Carlisle, Ohio,
> in 1958, and it's been on his farm about four miles from my place ever
> since.  It was his main tractor for only a few years, bumping down to #2
> when he bought a 4010 diesel.
>
> I took with me Dean VP's list of things to check on, and found the
> following:
> - No fenders, front rockshaft, or external air cleaner.
> - No automatic fuel shutoff in the fuel line, and the fellow didn't
> remember
> there ever being one there although he couldn't say for sure.
> - No cracks, welds, or oil or water leaks that I could see.
> - No play to speak of in radiator fan; maybe 3/8" movement at the end of
> the
> blades.
> - Complete 3-point with original top link and sway blocks.   Lift arms
> picked right up and held my weight without seeping down after I shut the
> tractor off.
> - Live PTO and single two-way Power-Trol hydraulic outlets.
> - New batteries, in the original dual six-volt configuration.
> - Float Ride seat seems pretty comfortable, certainly not all collapsed and
> hard.
> - Few and minor dings in the grill screen and sheet metal.  Paint is not
> original but not new.  Front tires are okay, rear tires are excellent.
> - All the gauges work.  Original owner said the hour meter broke at 25,000
> hours and he had it replaced right away, and the "new" one still works and
> reads about 19,000 hours so he says 44,000 total is pretty accurate.
> - He said he had it overhauled by the John Deere dealer (same one he bought
> it from) for about $3000 ten or twelve years ago when he retired from
> farming, and it's been only very lightly used since.   Most recent duty was
> powering his Winco pto-driven trailer-mounted generator when commercial
> power went out in a storm.
> - Starts right up and sounds good.

> [...]

Check out my youtube channel, and spread the word!
http://www.youtube.com/tylerthetechy/