[AT] Rewinch batteries

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 05:20:35 PST 2014

Getting a cheapo battery works well for me; I usually get good service out
of them since I (unlike many city folks) usually add water regularly and
try to maintain them and will many times get 5-7 years out of them. I use
these on my short range vehicles (car, tractor, sandrail, blazer, bobcat,
etc).
I have had good service out of the Optima batteries; I use a single battery
on my Cummins Dodge (came with a single battery, PO removed second one) and
the first one lasted over 3 years before it got unreliable on the startup.
That battery is now on my 8N. That would qualify for somewhat rough service
in my book, even though we don't have a lot of cold weather starts to worry
about here. Heat is also rough on batteries... many last under 2 years
before complete failure.
I tend to like the Optima batteries due to the fact that I've not had one
completely die suddenly. They usually let you know they're getting weak and
give you time to get them replaced. I've had too many of the other
batteries just flat quit working suddenly and without warning (and leave me
in the middle of nowhere). So, my wife's car and my truck (that sees long
road trips) both have them. I would say they're overpriced, but having had
good luck with them in our desert heat, I'm happy to not have to worry
about my wife's car not starting somewhere. (so far, of course. probably
jinxed myself now).

YMMV

Ken in AZ