[AT] Winch Battery

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue Feb 18 06:55:08 PST 2014

Andy Glines wrote:
> I might need to put a winch battery on my trailer soon.  I'm using a
> 12,000 LP HF winch to pull the Huber steamer onto the lowboy.  The
> same battery also operates the hydraulic jacks and folding neck.
> I've been using a group 31 starting battery for the winch.  Should I
> continue to use a starting battery or move to a deep-cycle battery.

Get a marine starting battery. They are between the two. They don't mind
high current drain (which will kill a normal deep cycle) and they have
more plates to act like a true deep cycle. They are not cheap though.

Or mount a small engine and pump and buy a hydraulic winch instead. Did
that a couple years ago for a local. Used a 2 stroke off a small
snowblower.

--
Steve W.