[AT] new holland baler

joehardy at epix.net joehardy at epix.net
Sat Feb 15 18:33:25 PST 2014

John, I farmed many years with a NH 77 baler that worked very well but getting older couldn't handle those 4 foot long bales any more from field to truck to conveyor and into the mow.  I've been using a NH 268 baler for at least 10 years and worked great until this year with knotter problems. I'll have the knotter rebuilt before Summer and the baler should work fine until I can't  farm anymore. I'm sure the 273 should be a good one too. You want to look at the bale chamber to see if it is rusting out too bad. Also, look at the connection of the wagon hitch to the baler chamber.  My baler had cracks at that location of the bale chamber so I had to do some reinforcement.  The thing that really bugged me was that when most balers are stored outside; no one would clean out the bale chambers of hay!  As a result, the hay became wet & rotted out the bottom of the bale chambers! Also, look at the needles to see if they were welded. If so, could be an
 indication of knotter timing  problems. Also, look at the brass cam followers on the knotters to see if there is a lot of flat spots on them. It is very important that those cam followers are always free to turn. If not, that's how flat spots are generated and a major cause of miss tyes. Every time before I would start baling, I'd spray WD40  on the cam follower SHAFTS and would check them for free rotation.  Also, I'd grease the plunger bearing before each use. I liked NH equipment and they were designed very well. I'm still using a 461 NH haybine too. Old is good!  Good luck and keep us posted on what you find...Joe H.  Ryman Farm, Dallas, PA