[AT] Merry Christmas - Now mud removal video

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Wed Dec 31 12:29:12 PST 2014

I only have one Cat left now, Brad, the 22 that I shopbuilt a 3-point
hitch for many years ago.  Haven't used it on the mud yet because the
engine clutch is currently frozen up.

The little Dingo loader definitely fills the gap between a shovel and
bigger equipment, but with only a 1/4 yard bucket, it does take awhile.

I hear you loud and clear Bo, about government ineptness. Following the
first rain after the fire, causing mud slides in late February, city
officials and also the county Flood Control District were both equally
unresponsive to the point of total uselessless.  Now after subsequent
rains have caused similar mud flows, assistance has fortunately improved
somewhat, thanks to the new "git 'er dun" city manager and increasing
comprehension at higher city official levels about the ongoing
seriousness of over 24 acres of steep, burned wilderness hillsides all
draining down into a single canyon whose mouth is adjacent to a densely
populated residential street.   At least now the city is providing their
dump trucks to haul dirt away, but digging out still remains the job of
each affected property owner.  And the city is having discussions about
short and long term solutions to the problem, like trying to get
equipment back up the canyon floor to clean out as much of the deposited
mud as possible; or maybe constructing a catch/debris basin at the
canyon mouth.

If you're curious, here's a TV news clip from the first mud flow
February 28th  That's my neighbor Ken & Bonnie's driveway where the
torrents of mud and water are rushing out onto the street.  (Ignore the
initial 15 second commercial):

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Monrovia-Evacuations-Amid-Mudslides/247962981

- Richard

Richard and Judy Walker