[AT] repairing radiators

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Dec 7 18:24:07 PST 2014

Thanks for all the advice! I may get brave and try to fix it myself, need to
round up a junk radiator to practice soldering on first! I like the idea of
soldering a patch over the crack for strength. Likewise I appreciate the
caution about too much heat causing something else to weaken or come loose,
I'll have to consider how close it is to the core and the filler neck.

Spencer and Charlie, those are certainly 2 nice shops you provided links
too. If I can't find a shop closer or decide not to try it myself, I'll look
into shipping it to one of them.

Charlie, you are probably correct about regulations making it harder for
small radiator shops to be profitable. Not to mention so many radiators now
can be bought new for a reasonable amount. I actually wanted a new one as
opposed to anyone trying to fix this one.

My biggest concern about fixing this myself is that I've never soldered much
of anything other than a few electrical connections. This is a tractor that
does too many important tasks for my repair to fail in the field a few
months down the road.

I'll let you guys know how this turns out. I'm running it with the hood off
so I can observe the crack if it goes to leaking again. The leak comes and
goes, although the other day it turned into a flood and then quit. About the
only thing I have left to do with it this year is to spread a dab of
fertilizer and maybe handle one load of milo in the auger cart.

John Hall