[AT] respecting the old timers

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 31 05:04:41 PDT 2014

30 years ago while collecting anything I could that was cheap, we drug in my grandfathers horse drawn dump hay rake. Basically we drug it out of the woods, and welded up the places the wheels had rotted into. A couple years back we drug it back into the shop to free things up and get it operational with a short tongue so it could be used with a tractor. After baling hay this week we took it to the fields to gather up some of the missed clumps of hay (too big of rake or too small of baler). It worked pretty good, love the “power lift” feature. I will say riding one of those things is rough on the backside! Dave might consider me a FATG but I certainly need more “padding” for this type of work! After 45 minutes I had all I was going to stand. That’s when dad informed me they used to stuff loose hay or straw into a feed sack to make a pillow. He also informed me if I thought that was a rough ride, that I should never try riding a horse drawn harrow seeing how bad they bounce, I’ll take his word for it!

John Hall