[AT] Starting Issue with MH Pacer

rlgoss at twc.com rlgoss at twc.com
Sat Aug 30 11:11:28 PDT 2014

The one that comes to mind is some of the Kohlers that used battery ignition.  The points were operated directly by a rod that rode on the camshaft, so there was no way of changing the timing by rotating the location of the points.  Not a very complex engine, and the company kept the philosophy of "timing by changing the point gap" well into the 1980's with multiple cylinder engines.  Back in the days of simpler auto ignitions, I became reasonably expert at being able to change the Bosch points on both my VW and Mercedes along the side of the road or at rest stops without the help of even having a timing light. Those systems had distributors that you could rotate, so I would set the point gap as well as I could, rotate the crank to the point that the timing mark showed the proper amount of advance, loosen the distributor, turn on the ignition, and set the timing by listening for the spark at the points. I found that technique to be pretty accurate.

Why did I have to do that?  Bosch made the fiber follower on the points a little weak, and it was fairly common to have the follower break off while the engine was running.  You are never at a convenient location when that happens.  I've had it happen to me on highways from coast to coast.  The most notable time was on the beltway around Washington D.C.  You learn very quickly to always carry a spare set of points in the glove box.

Larry