[AT] McCormick plow

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Aug 19 19:19:28 PDT 2014

Ron,

Having not farmed in the Missouri River bottom where you are but about 60 miles North of you,  I'm a
bit surprised how much wear you have on that plow.  Especially a one bottom plow.  I don't recall
anyone in our area truly farming with only a one bottom plow.  Two bottoms, yes, were prevalent and we
3 8 hour shifted a 2 bottom plow every spring and fall.  My memory may not be good about 60 years ago
but I don't ever remember wearing out moldboards but I do remember having the old style shares
re-sharpened at the local blacksmith shop in town.  By heating them up and beating them into a new
point and cutting edge.  In fact the very 2 bottom plow that my Dad, my brother and I three shifted
for days on end in the 40's and 50's is now residing in my yard here in WA.  The Moldboards are worn
but not worn out. The points could use a little work.  I suppose it is possible that Dad replaced the
moldboards somewhere along the line but I sure don't remember it.  And I'm referencing plowing several
100 acres a year.

I'll admit we were pretty proud of our soil in NW IA and it was called Sandy Loam and very rich but I
don't think it was that much better than your Missouri River Bottom soil.  As I recall my Dad used to
call your river bottom soil "Gumbo" which was not a compliment in his mind, I don't think.  But I'm
surprised there was that much more sand in your soil than ours.  Now if that one bottom plow was
working the hill side stuff further away from the river I suspect it had a harder wear situation.  But
I'm a bit stunned that any one bottom plow was used that much.  Even in the 50's a one bottom plow was
a garden plow in our area. I cannot think of a single farmer in our area that farmed with a one bottom
plow. Even the next door neighbor that farmed with N series Fords.  He had two bottom integral plows
and he was out there day and night like we were.

I've have several one bottom plows here, JD H1's  including a couple of two way one bottom JD model
101 plows and they show quite a bit of wear but our soil out here in WA is disgusting compared to Iowa
soil. Rocks, gravel, sand and glacial till are  the issue here. So plows really take a beating.   I
was told by a local 80 plus year old JD Dealership owner a few years ago that JD plows were not very
popular in Western WA. I interviewed him about the equipment that was sold in the 40's and 50's. His
mind was as sharp as a tack.  He admitted to me that Oliver plows were much more popular here because
they pulled easier than JD plows. Hadn't heard that before.  I don't recall hearing that in Iowa
either. In fact, even though Oliver tractors were made in Charles City, Iowa there were only a very
few Oliver tractors in the whole county.  95% were JD and Farmall at about a 50/50 ratio with an
occasional Allis Chalmers, Minneapolis Moline and a few N series Fords but they were mostly yard
tractors not field tractors.

I've got a bunch of plow shares and moldboards, NOS and used,  here but I don't think I have any
McCormick stuff. I think I sold my only Farmall Cub one bottom plow several years ago.  The stuff in
the barn goes apoplectic if there is anything red in there.  :-)  I might get a chance to do a quick
look in the next few days.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

They say necessity is the mother of invention.
Don't know who the father is, probably remorse.
Red Green