[AT] OT - computer advice

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Aug 5 20:42:36 PDT 2014

Steve/Larry:

Excellent recollection. I had completely forgotten that. Here is what is in an online reference:

"The cards used in the 1890 census had round holes, 12 rows and 24 columns. A reading board for these cards can be seen at the Columbia University Computing History site.[20] At some point, 3 1⁄4 by 7 3⁄8 inches (82.550 by 187.325 mm) became the standard card size, a bit larger than the United States one-dollar bill(Silver Certificates) at the time, because some existing storage and feeding devices could be adapted.[21] The dollar bill was reduced to its current size in 1929. The Columbia site also says Hollerith took advantage of available boxes designed to transport paper currency."

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

They say necessity is the mother of invention.
Don't know who the father is, probably remorse.
Red Green