[AT] OT - computer advice

Phil Vorwerk pvorwerk at newulmtel.net
Tue Aug 5 12:17:27 PDT 2014

OK, I can't resist.

I went to St. Olaf in the early 80's, just at the start of the PC
revolution.  The Chair of the Economics Department was trying to explain
during class one day how cool we had it for computers, with a PDP and VAX
mainframe system available to us and the coming wave of PC's.  He had taught
at MIT in the 50's, and the computer that they were working on "would fill
the basement of this facility".  The computer had a total memory capacity of
8K, and when they tried to run their first program they learned that the
program slightly exceeded 8K. After scratching their heads for a bit, they
came up with a solution: they took the random number generator out of the
program, and instead shuffled the punch cards by hand to come up with random
numbers.

I always loved that story....

Phil V
In temperate New Ulm, MN