[AT] OT - computer advice

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue Aug 5 11:09:24 PDT 2014

Stephen Offiler wrote:
> I go back to Radio Shack TRS-80, Timex-Sinclair 1000, Commodore 64, and
> Apple IIe.  Dinosaur enough for ya?
>
> SO

Nope...

My first "computer" was an IBM 704 that used a stack of hollerith cards
for data entry and storage was on tape reels. Learned FORTRAN, COBAL and
others.

First "home" computer was an Altair 8800, also had Coleco, Commodore
PET., Sinclair, TI 99/4 a few different IBM boxes. Couple AST machines.
Worked for Rat Shack when the trash 80s came out.

What's really amazing is that I started out on machines that took hours
to boot the OS and longer to finish the run, and these days I'm ticked
when it takes more than 30 seconds to boot a computer...

--
Steve W.