[AT] The way they sound

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Aug 1 17:23:28 PDT 2014

Dean,

The duplex carburetor did solve a minor issue that the letter series had and that was  since the
letter series had only a single barrel carburetor one cylinder did not quite get the same dose of
gas/air mixture that the other one did.  Primarily due to the firing sequence of the two cylinder
tractors. The firing sequence is not even on a JD Two Cylinder Engine.  That is what gives it such a
unique sound and why a very heavy flywheel is required on JD Two Cylinder engines.  The duplex
carburetor allowed setting each cylinder for optimum operation.  If I remember right the duplex
carburetor alone added 2 to 3 HP to the same engine that the A had when it  was used on the 60 with
duplex carburetion.    An interesting, but not well known, fact is the early 50 and 60 "All Fuel"
tractors stayed with the single barrel carburetor and manifold setup while the new 50 & 60 gas
tractors had the duplex carburetion and manifold setup.  I don't think I have ever seen an explanation
for why JD did it that way by any author. Therefore, I can only speculate that JD didn't have the
engineering/manufacturing resources to make both changers at the same time.  The duplex carburetion
set up for "All Fuel" Tractors came much later than the Gas versions.  I suppose there may have been
some doubt at JD whether there would be adequate demand for "All Fuel" 50 and 60's to justify the cost
of the conversion.  In either case JD did eventually offer duplex carburetion "All Fuel" tractors at a
later date.

My guess would be that it would take a trained ear at an unusually low idle RPM to pick up the
distinctive sound difference between a single vs Duplex carburetion.  A very large part of the
distinctive sound from a JD Two Cylinder engine comes from the unusual firing sequence.  For those of
us in our more senior years we are just happy to hear anything at all. :-)

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

They say necessity is the mother of invention.
Don't know who the father is, probably remorse.
Red Green