[AT] Semi-off topic Zero Turn mowers

Steve Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 09:40:15 PDT 2014

Hey Charlie:

I haven't read this whole thread but I'll jump in anyway.  Forgive me if this input is redundant.

Mine is a Gravely 48XL.  Why? This is what my favorite local dealer sells.

Researching, I learned the two critical areas are the hydro units and deck construction.  In short:  get serviceable hydro's with spin-on filters.  Get a welded steel, not stamped, deck.  That's pretty much all you need to know.  Engine?  Yep they all have one.   Mine happens to be a 24HP Kawasaki v-twin. Fine engine.  Starts very easily from cold.  Emissions or not, it has a real choke judging from the puff of rich black smoke when it fires.  But any engine that YOU are comfortable with is going to do the job which is why I boil it down to the deck and the hydro.

I mow about 2 acres and little of it is straight and flat.  I have little to no steep slope and I don't mow if it's wet.  It used to take 4 hrs with either a CC 1812 (44") or my 17HP DR brush mower w/ optional 42" finish deck.  I am down in the 1.5 hour range now.

SO

Sent from my iPhone