[AT] Semi-off topic Zero Turn mowers

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Sat Apr 26 13:29:49 PDT 2014

I am going into my third year with a John Deere Z 445 zero turn mower
with a 54 inch deck.  I have had no problems yet but under 50 degrees it
takes a long time to start, due, according to the dealer, pollution
requirements which have it leaned out so bad that even chocked it
doesn't fire good when cold. I don't consider that a deere problem as it
has a 27 horse Briggs engine. I will say you can just fly over the
lawn.  I have cut my mowing time by 2/3's with this mower; some because
of the speed but largely because of maneuverability as I have a lot of
buildings to go around and odd shaped areas. Before this, I mowed with a
109 cadet with 48 inch mower and a 185 cub LoBoy with 60 inch mower. I
switched because the lawn was getting to be too much for the 40 year old
cadet and the loboy was a little like driving a steam engine and I spent
more time turning than mowing. I still have both machines but use them
very little; the cadet for spraying and rolling the lawn and the loboy
for some of the rough mowing. Realize that as good as a zero turn is;
basically mowing is all they are good for. As for cost I paid about
$4000 for it. I would love to have one that the deck went straight up to
work on the blades and to clean under the deck; however then we are
talking in the $8000 and up range. My sister gave me one of those jacks
that lift the front wheels up to work on the deck, it works well but you
have to lay under it. I am largely a IH- cadet man but in looking at
online reviews of zero turn cadets many were complaining about hydros
going out in two or so years to the tune of $1500 each (remember zero
turns have a separate hydro for each wheel). I do however know several
people with them that are happy. I also spent a lot of time looking at
Bad Boy mowers at TSC; they are very well built and have a couple of
things I liked such as a gas gauge and foot lift for the deck although
john deere has that on the more expensive models. We have several other
brands sold in our area, but they are mostly $6000 and up. As much as I
liked the Bad Boy mower the deal breaker was no local service or parts;
all parts would have to be ordered whereas  John Deere and Cub Cadet
dealers in town have most of the parts in stock. One lady had a problem
with her new mower and TSC told her the place that did their warranty
work did their own first and it would be at least a month to get it
fixed. She took it back home an hired an independent  person to fix it;
lucky for her it turned out to be just a bad idler pulley. Well, I got a
little long winded but that my .02 cents worth.
             Greg Hass-    where it's still only 40 degrees at 4 in the
afternoon