[AT] jd 70 diesel tractor

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 25 18:48:44 PDT 2014

I read an article in GEM many years ago where this supposedly happened on a
2 cycle diesel pulling a cotton gin, evidently the operator put a bunch of
oil in the crankcase so the machine couldn't shut down or regulate speed.
Never fooled with a 2 cycle diesel so I don't know if it was possible, just
remember reading the article.

My reservation to believing the engine was burning the oil is that it is a
mighty small engine to consume over a gallon of oil in a couple minutes
while presumably idling---even being diesel you would think the amount of
smoke would be tremendous.

If its not leaking externally, leaking into the coolant, or burning it, is
it possible for it to be ponding somewhere in the valve train? Not certain
how the transmission hooks up so not certain if it is possible for the oil
to get into there. Same goes for the pony motor. Is it possible for a seal
on the injection pump to be bad and the oil is being sucked into the pump
and returned to the fuel tank? (OK I'm really reaching with that one!)

John Hall