[AT] narrow vs. wide front tractors

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Tue Apr 8 14:58:38 PDT 2014

Friends,

The 'fessin up by Dean Vinson and others sparked by this subject makes
me thank the Creator again that I somehow survived the wondrous teen
years with all body parts.  After the usual close calls with hillsides,
chain saws and sickle mowers, etc., what I'm reminded of is now is
putting others at risk.  When I was twelve or thirteen, I was able to
befoul the undergarments of two others beside my own by simply driving a
hay wagon with two guys on top down a hill (described between the blue
lines here: http://web2.airmail.net/bealke/xourroad.htm ). First I had
driven a Ford 8N, having been accustomed to heavier Farmall Hs and Ms.

Then again we had quick reflexes at that age to save us. Woke up from a
sleep one time and jerked a steering wheel to the right in milliseconds
to save reputation, credibility and family car. Not long after I got my
driver's license had almost made it home in the wee hours of the morning
after a day's farm work and a Saturday night's romancing while trying
desperately to stay awake.  The state highway for the last part of the
16 miles had a curved up lip on the side that had shaken me awake a few
times. There was NO traffic at that time of night, and I had windows
down, radio blaring and teen wisdom to help - until I sort of failed to
complete a right turn after a stop sign. Woke up with the car bouncing
left side down in the drainage ditch of the opposing lane and a heavy
duty post holding a highway sign heading right for the car. Adrenaline
is FAST.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas