[AT] narrow vs. wide front tractors

Howard Weeks weeksh at att.net
Tue Apr 8 07:31:00 PDT 2014

My worst experience with a tractor as a 16 year old:

I was pulling a very large load of baled hay on a 4 wheel hay wagon with
a John Deere B.  It was just about dark on a summer day and it had
started to rain.  The road was a single lane dirt with a little bit of a
ditch on each side.  I had that tractor cocked wide open trying to beat
the rain to the barn.  There was a steep hill that I had to go down.
When I started down the hill, I found that the brakes were not going to
hold that load back and I was rapidly gaining speed and going out of
control.  Tractor and load both were sliding all over the place.
Thought I was fixing to die!  Luck kicked in and both tractor and load
slipped into the ditch and it kept us in line until we reached the
bottom of the hill. I lived to clean out my pants and go on to the barn!

I have never totally trusted tractor brakes since then - especially
hydraulic ones.

Howard in GA