[AT] narrow vs. wide front tractors

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Tue Apr 8 05:37:39 PDT 2014

Herb wrote:

> After a few "experiences", did some of you young guys tend to develop an
invincible feeling?

Herb, as a teenager I was supremely confident in my tractor-operating
skills, and sure, getting a few experiences under my belt made it easy to
believe I was a veteran and knew what I was doing.  And there was even some
truth to that.  Not enough, however, to override some other teenager-like
tendencies, and one day I was behaving recklessly on my dad's wide-front
high-crop Case and rolled it over on a steep embankment.  I survived that
incident without physical harm, due 99.999% to blind luck, but it sobered me
right up.   Invincible teenager or not, finding yourself in a dynamic and
chaotic situation with a massive, roaring, moving, churning machine that you
are suddenly powerless to control has a way of making one aware of the
frailty of the human body.

Dean VP wrote:

> ...It is a very complex issue and the difference of potential roll-overs
on a
> Narrow Front End tractor vs a Wide Front End Tractor is stated to be not
> nearly as much as we might want to believe...

Dean, well said, and I appreciate your good summary of the situation.

Dean Vinson
Saint Paris, Ohio
www.sundownfarm.co