[AT] narrow vs. wide front tractors

Howard Weeks weeksh at att.net
Tue Apr 8 07:07:59 PDT 2014

Herb,

Those mowers were 3 point rear mounted, same width as the rear tire span
and did not have a trailing wheel. Did have about a 2" wide skid on each
side that was adjustable for cutting height.  If we were on a bank, we
kept them pushed hard against the ground but not enough to lighten the
rear tires. That helped to keep the tractor from sliding sideways and
did keep us from going over backwards.

We did have one "invincible" guy that would cut a bank over a creek or
stream bridge/culvert by placing the down hill tire on the concrete
abutment over the stream which was sometimes 10 - 20 feet down into
water. One tiny slip and you were gone..  That strip of concrete was
rarely more than 10 - 12 inches wide. So far as I know, he never slipped
and there was no way that I or any of the others ever tried that.

I don't think any of the tractors were modified or anything other than
standard configuration. I do know that the mowers were picked because of
their utility on the banks.

The main reason that I bring the whole experience up is that many people
do not know that turning downhill can stop a roll over if you are quick
enough.

Howard