[AT] JD B Problems: More Info

Brian VanDragt bvandragt at comcast.net
Tue Sep 3 10:12:51 PDT 2013

The service manual published by John Deere for the B has a good transmission section in it.  I have one at home that I will dig out after work.  If one of the forks was shifted into gear, I don't think you would be able to run the shift lever up both sides, but it has to be in a gear to make the tires turn.  Can you see that all of the forks are engaged in a groove on a gear and that no forks are broken allowing a gear to slide along the shaft on its own?  I don't have any other ideas right now.  I've only worked on the 4 speed transmissions.  It sure is easy to see what is going on when the rear axle is off and the differential is out, but you have more gears and forks and it is probably hard to see them all through the top cover.

Brian