[AT] In the market for a rural place

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Wed Oct 30 18:36:25 PDT 2013

John, your son-in-law's desire for "rolling, treed and tillable farmland" is
right in line with my own, and I sure understand about the proximity and
price issues too.

Having grown up on my dad's wonderful little place with a classic rough-hewn
oak bank barn (see http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/barn_winter.jpg), I
wanted one of those too.  And a red brick farmhouse, set back away from the
road, which by the way would be a two-lane country road beyond earshot of
the interstate but conveniently inside cell phone and high-speed internet
range.  The realtor suggested I might be narrowing the options down just a
bit much.

It's pretty common around here (southwest Ohio) for farmland auctions to be
split up as you describe, but not all of them are.  The one I went to a
couple months ago (and regretted not coming better prepared) sold in a
single 65-acre parcel at the seller's request, since they hoped it would
remain intact as it had been for the many decades they'd owned it.  Nice to
see.  But it seems more common that farms are split up into the original
house, barns, and maybe 20 or 30 acres, plus another big parcel of tillable
land only, plus one or two small lots for folks who just want some land in
the country on which to build a house.

I've enjoyed the process of learning more about the surrounding areas.
Despite having lived here about 18 years, it turns out there are whole
bunches of roads I'd never previously driven, whole areas that never seemed
to be on the way to wherever I was going.  So it's been fun to get out and
really pay attention for a change.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio