[AT] Misc tractor recommendations?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Nov 2 08:01:03 PDT 2013

On 11/2/2013 7:02 AM, Ken Knierim wrote:
> Lots of great comments here folks. I'm with Henry and Al on several points.
> I have a 1.2 acre irrigated place inside town limits (used to be hay ground
> back in the day). I started off with an 8N (worlds most wore-out tractor, I
> think) and a blade behind it. Added a Mott 3-point flail mower and then a
> 743 Bobcat that was in dire need of assistance (arms were bent). After
> putting new flails on the mower and using the Bobcat to get the irrigation
> going, I've kept the place mowed with the 8N and a decent weedeater.
> A couple notes. As soon as I got the Bobcat the back blade got relegated to
> the iron pile. Then I straightened the arms (20 ton hydraulic jack, log
> chains, inappropriate language), fixed the hydraulics, got a new starter
> from DB Electric and put a new edge on the Bobcat bucket. Now it's like I
> have a new one... and they are HANDY.

I am glad to hear Dean is "going rural" but will not try to recommend a
suitable line of equipment. It depends so much on your mechanical
skills, patience, cold tolerance and even debt tolerance. My stuff is
old and usually gets the job done but only thanks to my limited
mechanical ability and having a brother who is an excellent mechanic to
back me up when I get stuck.
I too see more of the "bobcat" type machinery showing up on farms here
and admit I'd like one myself. Great for getting into the cattle shelter
to clean it out. Compact and maneuverable. I hear snow blowers are
available for the bigger ones. I'd need a trailer though to move one
from one farm to the next. Plus I'd likely need a bigger pickup to pull
it .
I think somebody already mentioned a front end loader as being a useful
tool on any farm or acreage and I can agree. Mine is currently
inoperable until I get the old Massey fixed (or replaced) and I am
missing it already. Have to admit I have been looking at something newer
with front wheel assist and a cab to help survive snow blowing the
driveway in these Sask. winters. First snow predicted for tomorrow. :-(

Ralph in Sask.