[AT] Misc tractor recommendations?

henry miller hank at millerfarm.com
Fri Nov 1 23:09:19 PDT 2013

When I bought my 8 acres a year ago I put the zero turn mower in the offer, I'm happy every time I think of it.

For snow I settled on a cheap skid loader.  I wish I could afford a newer one though.  It gets cold sitting out in the cab for an hour.  (Most of that trying to get it started as I broke something in the glow plug circut first thing and still haven't figured out what).  Once I get it started it makes clearing the driveway fun.

Most of my neighbors use a plow on a 4 wheeler for snow.  It works, but it beats on those machines pretty hard.  Come to think of it, plows beat on full size trucks as well.  Snow blowers are slow, but they work.

Until I get a fence for goats/sheep I just call a neighbor to bale most of the grass.  I don't need a tractor yet, but I'm looking anyway.  I'm planning on starting with my Grandma's JD B, I doubt anyone has touched it since grandpa dies 6 years ago.  I need a shed to put it in first though, and thus we come to the eternal problem: money...

When I first moved in craigslist had a loader/backhoe (construction machine, no other attachments possible) that looked perfect for me.  It disappeared 2 weeks before I got my bonus though. I still wish I had got that over the skid loader. I have a few projects that need a backhoe.

So my advice: get a zero turn lawn mower if you plan on mowing more than a city lots worth of grass.   Get a front end loader of some type for snow, could be skid loader.  Consider what attachments and get a tractor to power them. Get tire chains for your truck if like me your road isn't plowed for a few days after the storm.