[AT] Misc tractor recommendations?

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Fri Nov 1 16:19:23 PDT 2013

My rural home-hunting plans are proceeding, and it appears we may have a
deal on a very nice old 35-acre place.  That's prompted me to consider what
types of equipment I'll need, and I'd be happy for any advice you folks on
the list can offer.

Going in, my lone piece of equipment is a 1953 Super M Farmall, which
besides being just cool as heck will no doubt serve nobly on a whole range
of general chores--but isn't ideal for some of the things I'm considering.

First up is plowing snow.  This place has a moderate-length gravel driveway
(couple hundred yards maybe) that according to the current owners tends to
get drifted over pretty deep now and then during the winter.  Any
recommendations on how to handle it?  I'm thinking 3-point rear blade on a
utility tractor, which would be a useful combination anyway.

There's also a sizeable amount of lawn to mow, more than I'll want to do
with my trusty walk-behind push mower.  The current owners use a Kubota ZD28
zero-turn mower which they might sell rather than haul to their new home.
I'm tempted, especially if the price is right (don't know yet), but I'd
previously envisioned something like a Farmall Super A with a mower deck.
Any ideas for an old-tractor option that would let me finish mow in the
summer and do some light snowplowing in the winter?

(An Oliver OC-3 with a dozer blade and a flail mower, maybe?  Can't blame a
guy for trying).

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net