[AT] diesel

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Wed May 8 08:11:50 PDT 2013

I really debated sending rhis because i hate politics, ideaology and belif austems that require dogma and selfThose that know me understand I love to experiment.   One of those was a big experiment I performed making biodiesel.  I made in excess of 2000 gallons over 3 years.  I ran it in 1986 Isuzu Trooper diesel.   So here are my conclusions and observations;

Biodiesel did result in a 5% drop in mileage (25.8Mpg to 24.6MPG)
Biodiesel cost me between 1.25 and 2.50 per gallon to make depending in the price of methanol(a commodity whose price swings in ways I could never predict).
Wake forest University BD program analyzed my first four batches. All met ASTM standards which proves it can't be too hard to make if I can do it.
My engine would run quieter
My exhaust smelled better.
No idea on lubricating qualities but I had no problems on the 60K-75k I ran B100-b50.  Have to defer to chemists in that one.
Did clean the fuel tank.  Had to replace filters several times at first.
Did ruin the fuel pump diaphragm on my 1952 Oliver 70 diesel.  New diaphragm could handle it though.
Does gell at 25-28 degrees.  Higher temps(~33) if you used peanut oil. Had to run B50 in the winter.
Sold the biodiesel plant i designed and built to a chemist who was experimenting and needed to go a little bigger.  His initial experience echoed mine.

In short, I loved it but is not a silver bullet.   But there is definitely a place at the table for biodiesel.

Pa. The extra cost is BS because the commercial producers get a 1 dollar per gallon subsidy. They cannot be spending more than $2/gallon to make.  They have to be "green" gouging based on my experience .

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone