[AT] most uncomfortable to drive tractor---now most comfortable

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Mar 24 17:25:51 PDT 2013

David, you asked so here is my choice for operator comfort.

IH built a utility series beginning about 1971. We have a '72 model 454 that
cannot be beat for creature comfort. As with most utility tractors you are
sitting straddle the transmission. All the controls on it are on the
sides(except for the usual stuff such as the throttle and choke). All the
gear shifts are on the left and do not require you to stretch to reach them.
Great for loader, blade, or mowing in confined areas. The parking brake and
remote hydraulics are tucked out of the way. The 3pt lift control is right
beside you to make it easy to do grading and mowing.  You are pretty much
boxed in by the fuel tank and fenders to help keep dust off of you. This
tractor was slightly upgraded and renamed 464. They also made big brothers
to it in 574 and 674 models--later renamed 84 series.

A late model JD 4020 would be my second choice. I chose the late model
because the hydraulics were mounted on the side. Also the PTO lever had been
moved to the console where it was much easier to reach. The operators
platform is so roomy you have enough room for a water jug, log chain, and
still plenty of room for those of us with big feet.

So, given the same time period, what tractor would you guys choose as the
most comfortable to operate?

John Hall