[AT] digging potatoes

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Sun Jun 30 12:03:08 PDT 2013

My experience related to a 1/4 acre of spuds - if a much larger spot
this might not be possible but I raise the idea in the hopes of
generating ideas.

I can say that once the spuds are cured the skins are a lot tougher.  In
those times we would place the cured spuds in a room in the tobacco
packhouse that was lined with straw, potatoes poured on the straw then
covered with more straw.  Later old quilts were used to cover the pile
and all light was blocked.  For us (in NW NC) the program worked and I
remember tossing potatoes from the last season in prep for the new spuds
that were way better than what you see every day in the supermarket.
Maybe not viable on a larger scale but maybe something to spur thoughts.

David
NW NC