[AT] garden question; potatoes

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Jun 22 04:49:47 PDT 2013

John,  I read an article recently about corn.
It seems that it is one of the most modified plants in agriculture.
It started out as what amounted to a grass with just a few grains
on it somewhere in Mexico or that area and has been selectively
bred over 100's of years to what we have today.  I don't know if it's true
or not but the article implied that  corn could not survive in the wild
without
continuous cross breeding by the seed farms.  It would revert to
it's origins and be useless as a crop.

Speaking of a tangled mess on the ground.  A few years back when I was
dabbling in adjusting Federal Crop Insurance a farmer near here who farmed
about 4000 acres had some flat planted (no rows) corn that got blown down by
an early hurricane.  He had I guess 100 acres like that or more.   He called
me
to look at it but he told me he was going to try to get it up.   When I saw
it
it was laying as flat on the ground as if you had cut the stalks off with a
cycle bar
mower.  Some of the ears of corn that were touching the ground were
sprouting.
He had new combines with some sort of head that would work right down on the
ground.
He called me later and told me he got it up and didn't loose enough to file
a claim on the
loss.   He ran both JD and IH equipment.  I think those combines were JD.

Charlie