[AT] garden question; potatoes

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 21 03:51:03 PDT 2013

The lunatics are the county southeast of here, the liberal nut jobs are
southwest and we are the blithering idiots at the top of the "Triangle" with
the huge corporate tax revenues who have proven you can throw money at
problems and not fix anything!

Back to the organic, I don't know what she wanted with it but assuming it
really mattered, I didn't want any part of the liability. She may have been
using it for mulch on certified organic vegetables. There is a rather large
market here for fresh local grown produce (not necessarily organic).  Got to
respect the folks doing it because they are generally doing it on a very
small, labor intensive scale---the new breed of small full-time farmers.
They do produce a much better product, equivalent to a personal garden in my
opinion. And, their cash is green when they buy a load of straw for mulch!

I do get inquiries for straw for strange uses though. One guy bought some
and was using it to locally grow some sort of farm-raised seafood (remember
I am 3 hours from the ocean).  This was actually a small scale commercial
business.

Another fellow came and measured the bale size and checked the weight. He
wanted to use it for insulating an exterior wall in a garage he was
converting to an office. Thank goodness the baler had been acting up and the
length was varying a couple inches. I can see it now, he hauls away 50 bales
and brings back 15 to swap for something a little shorter so he can squeeze
it in the wall--I'm not running a lumber yard!

John