[AT] On Topic: Reintroduction letter

Mike mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jun 7 15:21:02 PDT 2013

One of the reasons that I have half a dozen Cubs is that changing
implements on the Cub is not something you want to do often. The sickle
bar mower takes me a good couple of hours to mount (others who are more
skilled than I am probably do it in less). And it takes almost as long
to remove it. And while it is mounted, the tractor can't be used for
anything else except pulling a wagon. Also, you are pretty much limited
to about a 20° range of up and down cutting angle. That's fine for
cutting grass/weeds in a field or alongside the road, but you can't do
steep ditch banks or brush on the side. For those applications, I use an
IH 100 "balanced head" mower with a hydraulic lift for the bar. I can
cut from true vertical to about -30°, using my Farmall 340.

<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_340/farmall-340-with-ih.html>

Note that the sickle bar mower is probably one of the most dangerous
tractor implements there is. If I need to clear the knives, I shut down
the engine and drop the bar on to blocks. And even then, I keep my
fingers away from the sections (knives) and guards. It will chop a
finger off without even missing a beat. That is why most road
departments got rid of their sickle bar mowers a long time ago.

Mike