[Farmall] Fixing an improvement

Mike mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Jun 1 05:28:35 PDT 2013

The 140 that I dragged home (it was rolled over and in poor shape) was
never used for field work - it was set up for landscaping - it had turf
tires, a C-3 belly mower, and the IH 1000 one-arm loader (that was also
used on Cubs).
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_140/> I am in northern NJ,
but I have no idea where the tractor originally came from.

The tractor did an excellent job of mowing, but I wasn't much impressed
with the loader - the boom wouldn't even lift a bucket half full of
logs. I guess it would have been OK for scraping barns and loading
manure into a spreader, but that's about it. It may be that the problem
was more related to the 140's hydraulics than the loader itself, but
either way, it was pretty much useless. Looking at other pictures of
1000 loaders, I determined that someone had widened the bucket about a
foot at some time. But the job was done skillfully, and it was hard to
tell without looking very close.

The tractor could probably have benefited from having some kind of rear
hitch, but it didn't, and I wasn't about to spend money on one. It was a
fun project, but I was unemployed at the time, so I sold the tractor
with no regrets.

Mike