[AT] junk

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 20 14:02:44 PDT 2013

I think if you manage wheat well it can be pretty profitable.  Seed cost is fairly cheap and there aren't a whole lot of chemical costs involved in a normal season.  We have had wheat on the farm for the last 3-4 years, up until last year we had had 4 terrible corn crops in a row and my dad needed the grain for feed. So I can't say a whole lot about cash money since it stayed on the farm.  Grain sorghum is the same way, it got popular when the corn crops started getting bad, corn prices went up, and the hog and poultry companies started to feel the pinch.  I want to say they will pay 50% of the going corn price for sorghum or something like that, and a couple years ago they were actively "recruiting" farmers to grow it.  It is a good option on land with a low yield potential for corn and is cheaper to grow.

Al