[AT] Ford 4000 Quitting Afer Running a While

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 15:46:36 PDT 2013

Tom,

Having recently fought with a Ford 3000 that sparked (more than 1/8") when
I flicked the ignition points with a screwdriver but still required
replacement of them, I've learned my experience apparently isn't at the
same level as yours. The points on these Fords are non-trivial and might
give the false sense of security. That said, be sure you also replace with
good ones as the Mandarin made ones cannot be cussed at loud enough. And
the good ones are exceedingly hard to find in some cases...

The problem I wrestled with was only a little more clear with a better than
average meter. When the points were engaged there was too much of a voltage
drop across them to fire the coil reliably with differing fuel/air mixtures
(as seen with choking, etc). This particular beast was supposed to have a
coil with an internal resistor but had been altered to a coil that needed
(but did not have) an external resistor. It would start and run for a short
period but stop again; running the choke a bit also seemed to help.

Replacement of the coil* with the proper type* cured part of the problem
(and this doesn't necessarily mean the type that is currently installed!);
replacing the points that had half an ohm on-resistance cured the other
part. This rig hadn't run in 4 months because the owner (a decent mechanic)
and a couple other "handy" types had all failed at getting it started. The
"replacement" parts were too generic and there wasn't any dealership
support for this model within 2 hours' drive. With better diagnostic
equipment, Google (which decidedly isn't a substitute for a factory
manual), starting fluid, 4 hours of fighting, some new parts and a dogged
determination to not be beaten, we finally broke through.

What had started as a somewhat intermittent issue had become 2 separate
ones that interacted. The equipment had been maintained with what parts
were available but we aren't in the country of origin for the tractor. My
theory (and it's just that) is that the coil drew more current than the
crappy plating on the points were up to. It would start and run for a
while; then the points would heat up and the resistance would go up.
Eventually it would loose spark voltage (this I was able to detect with my
spark tester)r to the point of engine stoppage. Cool down a bit and it
would restart and run for a few seconds sometimes. Clean the points and it
would do it all over again. No, it wasn't the condenser as we replaced that
a couple times and it never changed anything. The new replacement
condensers are still in the spare parts kit for the next time.

OK, so I'm a weekend warrior when it comes to wrenching on tractors and it
took me quite a while. If I was paying someone to do the work, they had
best be able to do this better and faster than myself but it isn't always
so. These are part of the reasons folks either pay for newer,
more-supported equipment, or team up with an experienced mechanic like
yourself.

Just my $0.02

Ken in AZ