[AT] Farmer's Welfare To Continue?

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Fri Jul 12 14:03:51 PDT 2013

I to would like to see the farm programs disappear; however our
government does NOT want that to happen. Many years ago (I'm thinking
about 45) the USDA had a vote of farmers whether to keep farm programs
or to get out of the farmers business. The vote was greatly in favor of
leaving the free market system work. The powers that be got mad and
eliminated the farm programs; however they established a "food
reserve".  The government bought up millions of bushels of grain and
when the price went up they dumped it on the market driving the prices
back down at which time they would resupply their stockpiles. Even if
they didn't dump on the market, the buyers knew the supplies were there
and had no reason to pay higher prices. Two or three years into the
program, thousands of farmers were going broke, so the subsidies were
brought back in to stem the tide of farmers going broke. As for telling
them what I grow, I hate it. Sadly, it doesn't matter because with
airplanes and satallites they know how much of each crop I'm growing
better than I do. I realize this is close to political, so I hope I have
not affended anyone but I feel it is somewhat farm related. My opinions
only and I will say no more on the subject.

Greg Hass